The best way for any of us to get the things that we want or need is to be able to communicate clearly. Good communicators are often successful in life, and this is because they can let the people around them know how they feel about things and exactly what they want. Here are some tips on how you can be a better communicator.
- Make eye contact and try not to be distracted. It’s annoying when you’re trying to talk to someone, and they don’t look you in the eye. When you make eye contact with someone during a conversation, it shows them that you are listening. Playing on your phone or doing something else when someone is trying to speak to you is often seen as rude. Even if you can hear what the person is saying while looking at your phone, it’s always better to give the other person your full attention.
- If we want to be treated maturely, then we must communicate maturely. Slouching, mumbling and using bad language will make it difficult to take what you’re saying seriously. If you sit or stand upright and look someone in the eyes when you speak to them, then they must take you seriously.
- Wait your turn. Sometimes, we get excited about a topic during a conversation and get tempted to interrupt the other person while they are still speaking. This is one of those ‘treat others as you would like to be treated’ situations. Nobody likes to be interrupted, avoid it if you can. The other person won’t want to hear what you have to say if they are feeling annoyed with you.
- Don’t hog the airtime. A conversation is a two-way street. It’s not fair if you expect the other person just to sit and listen while you talk. It must work like a seesaw. Your turn and then their turn. Otherwise, it stops being a conversation and becomes a boring lecture.
- When in doubt, listen. People always respond better to people that they know will listen to them. You can listen to someone without agreeing with them. Being a good listener is a powerful skill that will open many doors for you and give you a big advantage one day in business. It will also make all your relationships work much better too.